[Zope] changing listening port for zope

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Sat Mar 25 12:44:24 EST 2006

--On 25. März 2006 12:42:23 -0500 Daniel Godefroy
<danielgodefroy at videotron.ca> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just installed zope - icoya and started learning it. I want to use it
> with a friend having to access it from his house. My router tells me that
> there is a conflict with remote access control using 8080. I tried to use
> port 80. From the icoya quick start there was a link to set the server to
> listen to port 80. I used it and it notified me that the change was done
> and to set the listener to port 80 using the zope.conf file. I modify the
> zope.conf file in the etc folder in zope and restarted the server. Then i
> was not able to use the quickstart anymore.

Look at your logs for any errors. When running Zope on port 80 you must

 - start zope as root user
 - setup the uid properly in zope.conf (there is a dedicated directive for
   that)

The recommended solution would be to run Zope as unprivileged user on port
8080 (or whatever) and use Apache running on port 80 as reverse proxy
using virtual hosting (which is described e.g. in the Zope Book).

-aj

   -   Andreas Jung            ZOPYX Ltd. & Co KG                        -
  -   E-mail: info at zopyx.com   Web: www.zopyx.com, www.zopyx.de         -