[Zope] Re: Missing content! Urgent

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Mon May 1 12:18:02 EDT 2006

Michael Havard wrote:
> We're missing 16 days worth of content.
>
> Python 2.3.5, Zope 2.8.4, Plone 2.1.2, and a host of other products. ZEO
> configuration. Persistent disk caching is on.
>
> Yesterday everything was fine. All the content was there and accessible.
> Today I try to log in and the server doesn't respond. I go out and restart
> the zope client, still no response. I restart the zeo server and the site
> delivers content. Problem! The content is from two weeks ago. All of the
> content from the last 16 days is missing. Thinking maybe someone restored
> from an older backup I went out to our daily backups and pulled the previous
> days data.fs backup. A restore didn't work. It still shows the outdated
> content. I went out to look at the backups again and noticed that the date
> on the data.fs was 4/14 while the date on data.fs.tmp was 4/26. data.fs.tmp
> is a 9 meg file.
>
> Is the missing content somehow captured in data.fs.tmp or is it somewhere
> else that I can retrieve it? If it is how do I get it back?

You could try the following (back up everything first, of course!):

 - Stop the application server, then the storage server.

 - Test the existing storage file:

   $ /path/to/python /path/to/zope/utilities/ZODBTools/fstest.py \
     var/Data.fs

 - On the storage server, concatenate the 'tmp' file to the end of the
   main file, e.g.::

   $ cat var/Data.fs.tmp >> var/Data.fs

 - Move the 'tmp' file aside, e.g.::

   $ mv var/Data.fs.tmp var/Data.fs.tmp-ASIDE

 - Test the concatenated storage file:

   $ /path/to/python /path/to/zope/utilities/ZODBTools/fstest.py \
     var/Data.fs

 - Restart the storage server in debug mode and watch the log output:

   $ bin/zeoctl start && tail -100f var/error.log

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 202-558-7113          tseaver at palladion.com