[Zope] Re: Zeo as a Zeo Client

David Pratt fairwinds at eastlink.ca
Tue May 2 13:31:43 EDT 2006

Andreas Jung wrote:

> repozo does not help you syncing multiple ZEO server..it just performs
> an incremental backup of an existing Data.fs file. And I don't know of
> any solution have multiple "master" ZEO servers. There can be only one.
>
> -aj

For sure. I guess the best one could have would be replicated storage
clients that when offline could operate on their own data. When they go
online they would first attempt resolve their data with the (master)
server (synchronizing), and then append each new transaction to the
local replica as it was occuring (replicating) so that before you went
offline again, your storage is up to date.

I think this is all possible with a sync server, each client having an
independent asynchronous loop for synchronizing, and a synchronization
protocol for two way syncing. Zope has most of this now but it was never
designed to provide data to the local storage to keep it up to date
(while the zeo client is being used). This would be quite handy and I
think there are some possibilities to do this.

I guess in a general way, this is what the spread is doing for ZRS but
the mechanism and use case is different. I don't think you'd want any
client to be offline for long with this service with a replicated
storage client. I think the idea is more of a hot backup in case of
failure of the main storage but I know little of ZRS.

Regards
David