[Zope] Preventing Zope Spinning?

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Thu May 25 13:05:00 EDT 2006

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 10:49:10AM -0400, Brian Brinegar wrote:
> The majority of the Purdue University Engineering web presence is
> provided via a cluster running ZEO. We offer hosting for every school,
> department, faculty, staff, and student in the College. Because of this
> we have a large number of content maintainers/developers on our system.
> We are running into problems with users writing bad code which spins or
> uploading huge files which seems to tie up the database for long periods
> of time.

Large files really hurt ZEO performance, both reads (since they're
likely not in the cache, and if they are, they evict lots of other
useful stuff), and for writes.

I'd see about replacing all large files in the ZODB with files on
an NFS mount. Chris M's Blob product might help,
see http://plope.com/software/blob/ .
You could use that as the basis for a replacement for OFS.File,
and then remove everyone's permission to add OFS.File instances.
Then write zopectl scripts to migrate existing Files.

As for people writing bad code - that will always be a problem :)

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com