[Zope] apache rewrite rules redux

David Bear dwbear75 at gmail.com
Thu May 25 21:42:22 EDT 2006

I went back to betabug and reran the rule generator. I was able to use the
rules for http connections... but not for https connection.

I thought the two rules might be conflicting some how so I commented out the
rules for http connections and the https connections still don't work, ie I
still get the 404 error.

Here is what I have now.

# see http://betabug.ch/zope/witch
# RewriteRule ^/z2$ \
# http://127.0.0.1:9080/VirtualHostBase/\
# http/%{SERVER_NAME}:80/VirtualHostRoot/_vh_z2/ [L,P]

# RewriteRule ^/z2/(.*) \
# http://127.0.0.1:9080/VirtualHostBase/\
# http/%{SERVER_NAME}:80/VirtualHostRoot/_vh_z2/$1 [L,P]

#
RewriteRule ^/z2$ \
http://127.0.0.1:9080/VirtualHostBase/\
https/%{SERVER_NAME}:443/VirtualHostRoot/_vh_z2/ [L,P]

RewriteRule ^/z2/(.*) \
http://127.0.0.1:9080/VirtualHostBase/\
https/%{SERVER_NAME}:443/VirtualHostRoot/_vh_z2/$1 [L,P]

I can uncomment the http rules and they work. But whats the point of using
apache if I can get it to do https? (aside from legacy files and other apps
that depend on it...)

There must be a better way..

On 5/25/06, Sascha Welter <zopelist at betabug.ch> wrote:

> (Wed, May 24, 2006 at 12:00:09PM -0400) zope-request at zope.orgwrote/schrieb/egrapse:
> > From: "David Bear" <dwbear75 at gmail.com>
>
> > # see http://betabug.ch/zope/witch
> > RewriteRule ^/z2$ http://127.0.0.1:9080/VirtualHostBase/\
> > https/%SERVER_NAME}:80/VirtualHostRoot/_vh_z2/ [L,P]
> >
> > RewriteRule ^/z2/(.*) http://127.0.0.1:9080/VirtualHostBase/\
> > https/%{SERVER_NAME}:80/VirtualHostRoot/_vh_z2/$1 [L,P]
>                        ^^
> Just telling the witch to use "https" isn't enough, you have to tell it
> the port too (usually 443).
>
> This isn't the most obvious thing from th form, but it should be a cluee
> that the port doesn't change when you select https.
>
> > I also found the following rule from scanning through zope-list
> postings, to
> > force any logon authentication requests to go over https. However, since
> the
> > above rules fail, the following does nothing.
> >
> > RewriteRule ^/login_form(.*) https://%{SERVER_NAME}/login_form$1 [NE,L]
>
> This is a redirect and once your https-rewriterule works, it should too.
>
> > From: Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk>
> > In both cases, I see no need for two rules, just the one should suffice:
> >
> > RewriteRule ^/z2(.*) http://127.0.0.1:9080/VirtualHostBase/\
> > http/%{SERVER_NAME}:80/VirtualHostRoot/_vh_z2$1 [L,P]
>
> Yes, that will work too, unless of course you happen to have a URL that
> goes something like http://www.host.tld/z2thisisnotzope/index.html and
> apache
> will happily rewrite it for you, resulting in a 404.
>
> The two rules of the witch could likely be rewritten to one, but two
> rules cover the two possibilities easy in a form that humans can grasp:
> Either the URL ends there, or else it has a slash and then as much as
> there is.
>
> Regards,
>
> Sascha

David Bear
What's the difference between private knowledge and public knowledge?