[Zope] Zope Alternative

Peter Bengtsson peter at fry-it.com
Mon Nov 13 06:37:47 EST 2006

> I walk away frustrated and angry.

Not a good thing.

> [5] I have a neat idea for a Zope product so I start
> coding it up.  I find some bits and pieces on the web
> and try installing them, only to find that parts of my
> product have a name collision with parts of their
> product.

Products aren't libs. They're quite high-level and end-user specific.
Take it or leave it or write your own and steal ideas from an existing one.
Perhaps you should look at them as one big Cookbook of examples?

> [1] The documentation is not complete.

Yes and no. Probably complete but scattered all over the web and txt files.
We should have something like
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/ or http://dev.mysql.com/doc/

> Basically, yes.  I want a tool that doesn't try to
> protect me.  I want the full power of Python when I
> make my web pages.  I do not want someone trying to
> protect me, or that makes me jump through hoops to get
> there.  I want Zope's few great features without all
> of its restrictions.
>
> Is that more clear?
Crystal clear. I hate that too. However, some restrictions can actually
be good until you become a super expert because otherwise you'll write
insecure or un-inheritable.
I love that Python has a one-way-to-do-it approach with it's syntax but
still it doesn't stop you from writing non-Guido like code like this:
def foo ( self, a = "b"): return a (1%2+3)

>> Yet other parts of your discussion show a
>> frightening lack of knowledge of web development
>> environments in general.
>
> Please don't be mean.  I've been a programmer since
> 1979.  I've done a lot of things in this last 27
> years.  If I can't make a tool dance and sing within
> two years of picking it up, then the chances are that
> the tool itself isn't measuring up.  If there is
> something specific you want to address, please do.

I think you're right. It shouldn't be hard. Usability matters. For geeky
tools too.

--
Peter Bengtsson,
work www.fry-it.com