[Zope] Z2.log format

Tino Wildenhain tino at wildenhain.de
Thu Nov 16 07:49:20 EST 2006

Sascha Adler schrieb:
> I'm running an instance of Zope 2.8.6, and I'm stumbling into a problem
> with the format of Z2.log. Unlike an Apache log, which would have the format
>
> %S - %u ...

Well the apache log format is configurable. I don't know why the
analysis products stuck with the weird default.

> Z2.log appears to have the format
>
> %S- %u ...
>
> The lack of the space following %S causes analog to choke on an address
> that contains a hyphen in it, and in my case, analog cannot read half of
> Z2.log. I've tried looking up how to change the format Z2.log comes in,
> but I haven't found anything useful. Is there any way to work around this?

Usually you work around this by placing apache as frontend to zope -
which makes a log things easy (simple balancing, switching, virtual
hosting, ssl, ...  to name just a few) and last not least configurable
logging. You can completely disable Z2.log.

For no good reason, many log analyzer do not look on mime-information
of the request but try to find out by inspecting the suffix of the url,
thy of course als don't know that /foo and /foo/ in zope really means
the same thing and so on. Sane log analysis makes a good deal of work
I can tell you.

Good luck
T.