[Zope] Surprising load test results? (more results)

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 15:46:39 EDT 2006

On 10/9/06, Pascal Peregrina <Pperegrina at lastminute.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have added "ab" tests at the end of the page.
> (http://talk.lastminute.com/wiki/index.php/Loadtest)
>
> These extra results confirm everything we had found so far, except for 2.10
> with use-wsgi "on"... We could see what others reported: in 2.10, WSGI adds
> a similar overhead to all type of requests (html, gif, swf, ...). So there
> must have been something wrong in our initial test.
>
> Again, Zope 2.8.8 remains the fastest version...
>
> Something new that we could not see in the previous test is the evolution of
> the results with the number of concurrent threads, as we have done the same
> test with 1,2,5,10,20,50 and 100 threads.

Well, as seen here the number of requests peak at around five threads,
which is expected with Zopes default setting of four threads.

> Please have a look, and let me know what you think about these additional
> results.

They seem to largely contractictyour earlier results, where the
avergare response time for WSGI was similar for all document types.
Now they are not. Also, this time, 2.10 without WSGI ends up somewhere
between 2.9 and 2.10 with WSGI, while before 2.10 without WSGI was
slightly slower (but not that much) than 2.9.

So, basically, these tests are perhaps slightly less non-sensical than
your earlier tests, but still surprising. I don't see why Zope 2.10
would be so much slower than 2.9 in serving static content. There has
been no change there. Your first test was much more reasonable in that
area. This test is on the otehr hand much more reasonable for the WSGI
results.

CPS Content Management     http://www.nuxeo.org/