[Zope] Problem with using versions.

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Wed Apr 11 14:07:17 EDT 2007

On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 09:00:12AM -0500, Catherine E. Reinehr wrote:
> I'm running 2.6.2.  What's the most recent stable release?  2.10.3?

Yes, but the Version feature was removed after zope 2.7.

>From the changelog for zope 2.8:
"* Removed Version objects from the add menu. Versions are agreed to be
a feature that should not be used as it is not well implemented and
allows for data loss."

> I hate to say this, but my Zope knowledge is very limited.  I'm really only
> using it because it's what my predecessor used to build the web site in the
> first place, and she's not a whole lot of help now.

That's never a fun situation to be in with any technology...  if your
budget affords it, it might be cost effective to bring in a consultant
for a short time to explore your predecessor's system and get you up
to speed on it.

To learn about versions, read this:
http://www.plope.com/Books/2_7Edition/ZopeServices.stx#1-3

especially note the "Caveat: Versions and ZCatalog" which might be
related to your problems (just guessing... we don't know if you're
using a ZCatalog).

> I went here (http://wiki.zope.org/ZODB/FileStorageBackup) to read up on
> backups, but I'm afraid it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

We can't guess which parts don't make sense to you :)
Maybe come back with more specific questions here or on IRC?  The
#zope channel on irc.freenode.net is often quiet, but there's a lot of
knowledgable zope people in #plone and that channel is more active.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com