[Zope] debugging memory exhaustion

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Aug 10 03:25:04 EDT 2007

Jonathan wrote:

>> No, Zope does little if anything to control the amount of memory it
>> uses. If it did, we wouldn't see MemoryErrors ;-)
>
> By "Zope" i meant the process running zope (i agree that Zope does not
> track process memory utilization!).

Answering a question I haven't asked isn't helpful...

>>> What do you want Zope to do at this point?
>>
>> Start dumping objects out of the ZODB object cache when it reaches a
>> certain memory limit, preferably configurable in zope.conf.
>
> There is already a way to control (within limits) the number of objects
> in the ZODB cache, so you must be referring to something else? (ie. a
> way to control memory eating 'dodgy' scripts?).

Number and size have little to do with each other...

I've always wanted there to be a memory-size based limit on object cache
which is maintained throughout a transaction, not just at transaction
boundaries.

However, that is hard to do...

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk