[Zope] debugging memory exhaustion

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Mon Aug 13 05:02:18 EDT 2007

Dieter Maurer wrote:
> "ZODB.DB.DB" provides methods for detailed analysis of the
> cached objects.

Cool, I'll bear that in mind...

> It is used for the "Extreme cache detail" ZMI page
> but can also be used differently (e.g. from an "External Methode"
> or via the "ZServer Monitor Server" interactively).

I've never known how to use the monitor server. Are there examples or
documentation anywhere?

>> Of course, it'd be lovely if you could actually specify an upper memory
>> bound for a particular request to use, and/or Zope as a whole, but these
>> kinds of things always seem to stall at the development stage :-(
>
> You should find the culprit. While a better cache management might
> avoid the MemoryError, the observed bad behaviour would trash
> your cache -- and following activities would be by several orders
> slower than usual....

Yes, but it's a bad failure mode.
Slow-but-functional is better than throwing MemoryErrors in my book...
(especially as a trashed cache resolves itself, whereas MemoryErrors
always seem to require a restart...)

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk