[Zope] How do I eval a variable within the acquisition path?

Jonathan dev101 at magma.ca
Tue Aug 21 19:35:51 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Nash" <thedagdae at gmail.com>
To: <zope at zope.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 7:17 PM
Subject: [Zope] How do I eval a variable within the acquisition path?

>I apologize for the question (the zope area of my brain must need
> coffee) but I can't find the answer in the zope book or in any of the
> scripts posted to the zope cookbook.
>
> I want to use a variable in a acquisition path.
>
> So for example, from the zope book on scripts, imagine that
> vaccinateplan() printed out a specific animals vaccination plan.
>
> Now instead of saying 'LargeAnimals' and 'hippo' like so:
>
> print context.Vet.LargeAnimals.hippo.vaccinateplan()
>
> I want to do like this:
>
> category = REQUEST.form['category']
> animal = REQUEST.form['animal']
>
> print context.Vet.category.animal.vaccinateplan()
>

> but I get an Attribute Error. How do I eval a variable within the
> acquisition path?

any items in a url after python script name will be placed into REQUEST.
Example:

if there is a python script called 'ptst' in the folder 'folderx'
then the url:   www.xyz.com/folderx/ptst/a/b/c
will result in the python script "ptst" being run and the following entry
will be in REQUEST:
traverse_subpath ['a', 'b', 'c']

hth

Jonathan