[Zope] utf-8 problem in Zope when using Localizer

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Fri Aug 24 13:42:15 EDT 2007

Doyon, Jean-Francois wrote at 2007-8-24 09:36 -0400:
>setdefaultencoding() is apparently frowned upon ... Not sure why though.

Occasionally, a package writer expects that "str" converts to ASCII,
such that

     try: ascii = str(unicodeStr)
     except UnicodeError:
       # non ascii

can be used to check for ASCIIness.

Of course, this is true only when the defaultencoding is "ASCII".

Fortunately, "unicode(unicodeStr, 'ascii')" can safely be
used instead.

The code above actually occured in Python's "xmlrpclib".
When I reported the bug, people said we should eliminate
"setdefaultencoding"....
But, then, they nevertheless fixed the bug...

--
Dieter