[Zope] Isn't DTML more like what other frameworks do?

Mark, Jonathan (Integic) jonathan.mark at integic-hc.com
Mon Jan 8 13:01:26 EST 2007

"""Why (the hell) are you (still) using DTML (as newbie). You are strongly
encouraged to use ZPT."""

My sense is that ZPT solves a problem which for most of us does not exist. If you wish to have designers work directly on markup in an HTML WYSIWYG editor then yes, ZPT is great.

But most of us create our own HTML anyway. And for us it doesn't matter if DTML works in a WYSIWYG HTML editor, because we don't use the latter.

What does matter is that DTML is very similar to RHTML (as in Ruby On Rails), ASP, etc. ZPT requires a new way of thinking. I would much rather convert RHTML to or from DTML than to or from ZPT.

So I don't really get the benefit of using ZPT. The fact that no one outside of Zope seems to have created a ZPT-like solution suggests to me that ZPT, as I said, solves a problem which doesn't exist.