[Zope] Isn't DTML more like what other frameworks do?

Mark, Jonathan (Integic) jonathan.mark at integic-hc.com
Tue Jan 9 14:19:33 EST 2007

I was reading a public blog post among the Zope honchos. And they were agreeing that ZPT was a mistake. Some said that Zope ought to have used something like CSilver.

Jim Fulton had complained that he had just spent an entire morning setting up tests for a ZPT page, and that he, Fulton, was supposed to be good at this stuff.

One good thing about Ruby on Rail's RHTML is that it clearly separates RHTML calls with side effects but no returned value ("<%") from those that return a value but have no side effects on the page ("<%="). The developer of Eiffel says that in good O-O design routines either have side effects or they return a value, but not both.

As for me, I am lazy. ZPT does things in a way that few other frameworks do, although Ruby's Amrita2 sort of resembles ZPT. Displaying phantom  text in a static page  which will not be there dynamically is not superior to DTML. It is just more confusing. I have never learned ZPT well and I may never do so.

Of course, I am not a Zope developer guy, just a user. As for _ being confusing, if I need to figure something out about the namespace variable then I look it up.