[Zope] Urgent Help Required......

Jaroslav Lukesh lukesh at seznam.cz
Mon Jan 15 04:40:34 EST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "robert rottermann" <robert at redcor.ch>

>>> your right Dtml is not dying. its dead.
>>
>> At the risk of feeding the troll...
>>
>> One of the wonderful things (of which there are many!) about Zope, is
>> that Zope provides a plethora of tools for building applications.
>> Some people prefer certain tools over others.  The choice of tool is
>> less important than whether it meets the needs of the application.
>>
>> If a Zope developer has a preference for one tool over another that is
>> an internal choice, and I am sure that newcomers to Zope would be
>> happy to hear the reasons for the tool selection.  However, it is not
>> helpful to disparage the other tools as newcomers to Zope may find
>> them useful.  Saying that certain features are 'dead' (which they are
>> not in this particular instance) may scare newcomers away from that
>> tool, and possibly away from Zope, which would not be helpful to the
>> Zope community as a whole.
>>
>> Zope is a fantastic web application development platform, and it is in
>> our own best interests to ensure that newcomers are informed about all
>> of the many features and solutions it offers.
>>

>> Jonathan
>>

> jonathan,
> you are of course perfectly right.
> but tough DTML still exists it is dated and largely replaced by tal et al.
> all new developpment efforts go into this set of utilities.
> I strongly recommend any newcomer not to touch DTML  unless she has to
> deal with some legacy code.
> (ZSQL does not count here).
>
> robert

No, DTML is perfect for sites with lower budget than price for Vignette.
ZPT/TAL is great for really big sites with really big hardware and budget
too. ZPT is great for sites with many changes of design per year, but you
need graphics webstudio which does not crash your lovely template. But these
studios are not as cheap as you want. If your budget (without hardware) is
roughly as price for Vignette, then do that web with ZPT. Else use DTML.

JL.