[Zope] handling exceptions for external methods

David Bear David.Bear at asu.edu
Fri Jul 6 17:55:47 EDT 2007

I've begun using external methods and am trying to better understand the
context they run and and how to handle exceptions. I have concluded
the following (and I don't recall reading some of these in any documentation)
(please correct me if I'm wrong)

1 external methods run in the same interpreter as zope

2 external methods have access to a larger namespace and therefor more
functionality

3 external methods inherit the same namespace available to scripts
running inside zope

4 external methods are not launched as forked or spawned child
processes

5 external methods do not have access to stdin/stdout

6 external methods must return only strings, but they may be unicode
string as long as they are valid xml string data

Something that I don't understand is how to handle an exception. For
example, if I have an external method that appends data to the end of
a file, if there is an IOException how to I capture it and send a
message back to zope with something informative?

--
David Bear
phone: 	602-496-0424