[Zope] Problem importing xml backup file

Vittorio Manfredini vittorio.manfredini at brennercom.it
Fri Jul 20 06:06:27 EDT 2007

I have to upgrade to a new server and I export my zope in the xml file using
the export option.

On the old system I use zope 2.7 and python 2.4.3, on the new system I use
opensuse 10.2 with python 2.4.4 (recompiled by me) and zope 2.10.

When I try to import the file I receive the following error :

Site Error

Error Type: UnicodeDecodeError
Error Value: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xa1 in position 34: ordinal not
in range(128)

And in the log :
2007-07-20T11:26:06 ERROR Zope.SiteErrorLog
http://10.0.1.130:9673/manage_importObject
Traceback (innermost last):
  Module OFS.ObjectManager, line 609, in manage_importObject
  Module OFS.ObjectManager, line 626, in _importObjectFromFile
  Module ZODB.ExportImport, line 65, in importFile
  Module OFS.XMLExportImport, line 114, in importXML
  Module Shared.DC.xml.xyap, line 58, in unknown_endtag
  Module Shared.DC.xml.ppml, line 626, in save_object
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xa1 in position 34:
ordinal not in range(128)

I tried to find any recurrence  of xa1 in the xml file but I did not find
anything.

Any help please.

Thanks

--