[Zope] Error starting zope - undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS2_AsEncodedString

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Thu Jun 21 04:11:30 EDT 2007

--On 20. Juni 2007 21:58:18 -1000 John Schinnerer <john at eco-living.net>
wrote:
> Thanks...I have no idea how to do that unfortunately.
> This is the first time I've built python from source. I just followed the
> build instructions in the tarball and "it worked." At least, I have a
> working python 2.3 in the location I specified for "--with-python" when
> building zope.
>  From various list messages about this same error message I get that
> there is some mismatch involving UCS2 vs. UCS4 compiled pieces - if I
> grok correctly...?

Right.

If you install Python using

  configure --prefix=/opt/python-2.4; make;make install

and configure Zope using

  configure --with-python=/opt/python-2.4/bin/python2.4; make; make install

you should never get into such trouble. Somehow your environment or setup
must be broken. Possibly you're installing Zope over an existing Zope
installation with possibly old zopectl/runzope files inside the 'bin' folder
which won't be replaced by "make install". So check the "python"
configuration within your bin/zopectl|runzope files.

-aj