[Zope] Download Large Files in Zope

Maciej Wisniowski maciej.wisniowski at coig.katowice.pl
Wed Mar 7 04:48:57 EST 2007

> Looking LocalFS specs I find the issue:
>
> This version of LocalFS takes advantanges of Zope 2.7.1
> <http://www.zope.org/Members/hewei/zoperpms/zope2.7> 's new
> /filestream_iterator/ feature and is believed to server large files
> better than before. However, my initial testing showed that *it still
> doesn't prevent the whole file being loaded into memory*. When I
> opened a URL pointing to a mpg file served by LocalFS, the file was
> loaded into memory and then immediately freeed twice.
>
> I think that's the problem... load 300Mb into memory.... Maybe I look
> for other fs products.
AFAIK it uses tempfile for serving such files. This allows
Zope resources to be not blocked while returning big
amounts of data. Although creation of tempfile or something
like that (I'm not sure how this works in details) may still be slow.

In general serving static files is best done by servers like Apache and
I think this shouldn't be done by application server like Zope (possibly
until it has blobs support).

I don't understand why you can't use tramline. It may be connected
with zope easily. It gives you very fast filesystem storage. Even more,
seems for me that it is designed to do exacly what you're asking for.
You say that tramline may help you after resolving zope issues, but I don't
get it... By using tramline you will have no files in Zope (ZODB or LocalFS)
so you will have no problem to eliminate. But maybe I missed something
in your's use case.

--
Maciej Wisniowski