[Zope] Apache-Rewrite - Firewall - Problem

Sascha Welter zopelist at betabug.ch
Fri Mar 23 12:05:54 EDT 2007

(Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 03:51:36PM +0100) Andreas Tille wrote/schrieb/egrapse:
> I'm using an often recommended Apache-Zope rewrite setup to
> mask the internal folder structure in Zope.  The cruxial line
> in my apache (Debian Etch packaged version 2.2.3) is
>

> RewriteRule ^(.*) http://a.b.c.d:9673/VirtualHostBase/http/a.b.c.d:80/myfolder/VirtualHostRoot$1 [P,L]
>

> where a.b.c.d is the visible address of the machine from
> outisde the firewall, myfolder the folder of my Zope
> application I want to provide under  a.b.c.d:80
> and as Debian users might are comfortable with 9673 the
> Zope port (default for Debian).

Before trying to debug a rewriterule issue, have you tried a rule you
got from the witch?

http://betabug.ch/zope/witch

You will notice that the rule uses 127.0.0.1 - likely your address
a.b.c.d is considered to live on an external interface by your firewall.
In fact you don't need your FQDN at all in the rewriterule.

On a site note: If your system considers "localhost" to be a different
machine, then you have a problem anyway, but not necessarily related to
this. In such a case you would have to check your resolver setup.

Regards,

Sascha