[Zope] ATFolder Annotations on Plone, could not find adapter on Windows

Mikel Larreategi mlarreategi at codesyntax.com
Fri May 11 07:26:32 EDT 2007

Hi:

I have Plone 2.5.2 installed on Zope 2.9.5 in two different machines.
The first one is my Ubuntu box and the other one is a Windows server.

I've created a custom content-type that basically inherits from ATFolder
(Products.ATContentTypes.content.folder.ATFolder). After our zope3
training at Chappel Hill with Phillip, I'm trying to do my developments
in a "Zope3-style", so I decided to store some data as an annotation of
this objects.

So, I mark my class with IAttributeAnnotatable, and when I try to adapt
my object to IAnnotations to get or set the annotations, it works on my
Linux but not on Windows.

If I go to the ZMI and check this object's Interfaces tab
(www.myserver.com/myobject/manage_interfaces), I can see that
IAttributeAnnotatable is in the interface list of the object, but Zope
fails to find the adapter.

I've added a pdb.set_trace() in my annotation accessing view, and
debugged it using runzope.bat but I'm still getting 'Could not adapt'
error. I paste the debugging session:

(Pdb) l
 80    def __call__(self, *args, **kwargs):
 81        context = aq_inner(self.context)
 82        import pdb; pdb.set_trace()
 83        try:
 84            adapted = IAnnotations(context)
 85        except:
 86            from zope.app.annotation.interfaces import
IAttributeAnnotatable
 87            data = IAttributeAnnotatable.providedBy(context)
 88            return str(data)
 89
 90        return adapted.get(self.ANNOTATION_KEY, '')
(Pdb) context
<MUSubSite at /mu/subgep>
(Pdb) from zope.app.annotation.interfaces import IAttributeAnnotatable as ii
(Pdb) from zope.app.annotation.interfaces import IAnnotations
(Pdb) ii.providedBy(context)
True
(Pdb) IAnnotations(context)
*** Type Error: ('Could not adapt', <MUSubSite at /mu/subgep>,
<InterfaceClass zope.app.annotation.interfaces.IAnnotations>)
(Pdb)

Firstly, I thought that perhaps there was some nasty Acquisition issue
here, so I tried with self.context (without the aq_inner thing), but it
also fails:

(Pdb) ii.providedBy(self.context)
True
(Pdb) IAnnotations(self.context)
*** Type Error: ('Could not adapt', <MUSubSite at /mu/subgep>,
<InterfaceClass zope.app.annotation.interfaces.IAnnotations>)
(Pdb)

In my Linux box, everything works great:

(Pdb) context
<MUSubSite at /mu/eps>
(Pdb) self.context
<MUSubSite at /mu/eps>
(Pdb) from zope.app.annotation.interfaces import IAnnotations
(Pdb) from zope.app.annotation.interfaces import IAttributeAnnotatable as ii
(Pdb) ii.providedBy(context)
True
(Pdb) ii.providedBy(self.context)
True