[Zope] Re: MemoryError exception when importing a zexp file

Sascha Welter zopelist at betabug.ch
Thu May 31 03:55:26 EDT 2007

(Wed, May 30, 2007 at 10:31:31AM +0100) Ben Lobo wrote/schrieb/egrapse:
> Thanks for the tip. I tried increasing the swap file to 10GB but still got
> the same memory error.

Some operating systems limit the amount of RAM a single process can
consume. Sometimes that amount can be adjusted. Also 32bit systems can
only use a limited amount of RAM per process due to the limit of what
you can address with 32bits -- over that amount you can give the system
100GB or 1000GB of swap, it won't change a thing. Even if those do not
apply, I guess it's very much possible for a process to eat up all the
RAM, no matter how much that is, all it would need is a little bit of
recursion.

> I'm now considering exporting the Plone site (cos that's what it is) one
> piece at a time and reimporting it into a clean Plone site. Any thoughts on
> whether or not this is a good idea?

Not mentioning Plone in the first place is problematic. In fact *plone*
is problematic. Did you verify with plohn people (e.g. on a Plone
mailing list) that current plone versions can be imported/exported?
(Because the last time I made the mistake to do a project with
plone you couldn't import/export a plone site -- or rename it, move it
to another instance or anything similar for that matter -- without major
pain. It's been a while though, so things could have changed.)
whole exercise is in vain.

Good luck!

Regards,

Sascha