[Zope] running Zope/Plone on a Windows Virtual Machine?

knitti knitti at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 10:29:03 EST 2007

On 11/7/07, michael nt milne <michael.milne at gmail.com> wrote:
> yes I realise about the single point of failure. Ideally of course we'd have
> separate physical servers for this. It's an intranet so security is less of
> an issue. There just seem to be advantages from running virtual machines.
> I'm not an expert but aren't they easier to manage, rollback and back-up?

that depends entirely on your needs. Copying away the Zope tree and the
instances' products and extensions every time you change something on it
and copying away the Data.fs every x hours isn't exactly hard, is it?
And it requires less space.
Having a VM lying aroung just to copy-over and run is also handy, but you
need more resources.
You decide. Design your backup/restore process well, when you need it you
probably won't have much time thinking about it.

> Interesting that a VM service would only require the RAM that Zope requires
> normally. You would naturally think that the VM service would take up quite
> a bit of RAM itself?

I didn't say that. I just said, that respective to zope's RAM usage
its irrelevant,
whether it is inside a VM or not. Of course you need the RAM for the VM itself.

--knitti