[Zope] Response to Matijn Faassen Grok/Zope 2 question.

Rene B rb2.net at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 20:29:52 EST 2007

Thanks for the feed back. I didn't expect the responses i got from a post
 placed.

I like some of the suggestions.  Some one mentioned he used Zope 2 as
a "container"
 for his Python scripts. He used Python as much as possible for logic and
sparingly
 used DTML and ZPT to view the results. i like this approach.
I'll stick with Zope 2 to continue the learning curve.
I wanted to answer some questions asked by Martijn Fassen
 regarding grok and what I liked about Zope 2.
I do like the Zope 2 ZMI.  It helps organize visually your MVC. I do like
 coding TTW and seeing a
template file or controller all organized in a project directory and testing
live just by clicking the link.  I
also like the "ADD" feature. It list all the products/components you can add.
 It would be nice to have
this in Grok since i don't know what is out there to add and what they do.
 And "add" feature with a description/docs and simple code example
 would be nice. Example would be the the "formlib".
 a database connection(relational)  helper would be helpful too. I don't
 think i'll be diving into the ZODB
right now for 2 reasons. There isn't a whole lot of ZODB docs and what
 happens if i create a project at
work ( i,e, asset tracking ) and the other programmers in the office only
 know SQL . If i have all me data
is in  ZODB how will they be able to get at it? If the asset tracking app
 grows i know these other programmers will wont to get to the
 data to do some adhoc report. I'll be cooked if they can't get to it
via SQL. Unless there is a way i have not read about yet!
Maybe someone should write some reverse ORM to translate SQL
 and query a ZODB database!!!  stupid i
know.

I will  go through the Grok Tutorials again. i did have a problem
 with installation.
"zope3recipes\winctl.py line 28"  no module named win32api.
i may have missed some prerequisite.  I'll have to go through it again.
 Zope 2 had a nice windows
install .exe package!!!!!!!

The tutorial did have a few steps wrong. Naming the projects and
 packages come after module name
and username and password. Not a big deal but i thought i would
mention it.
my Grok install ended up in c:\python24\scripts\sample
it would be nice if Grok was installed in its own self contained
 directory with a self contained version of
the required python version.  Just nice to keep it isolated from python 2.5 +.

The more docs and tutorials the better. Nothing in my opinion is more
 important to learning and
sticking with a platform. if you run out of docs and tutorials to grow
on you get soured quickly.

once last thing about the ZMI and if it were to make its way to
Grok ( even partially)!
why not have the GMI add some code for you automatically like :

import Grok
Class Sample(grok.Application, grok.Container):
	pass
Class index(grok.View):
	pass

It would save typing if we could click "New App" and enter "Sample" and
 have the MI add the rest of the
small code. Mabe i'm being lazy but Zope 2 seemed to hide this from you.
same with the rest of the controllers and templates
"add"   "controller" enter "index". the rest of code is genersted.
"add"  "template"  template name index.pt.