[Zope] Zope is in trouble

Tim Nash thedagdae at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 20:47:17 EDT 2007

While I agree that the zope resources look a bit stale, I think that
zope itself has never been so relevant. I am a new zope developer and
I find that zope fits well with many of the new web techniques.  I
haven't bothered to learn much page templates because my site is
almost completely built out of a javascript library (extjs) that
provides widgets, so I don't need much more than some simple dtml
calls. It is build on REST principals which fits naturally with zope
as a back end and it is a web service so I don't need a relational
database. (relational databases are of limited value when you are
building a new web service that will fit within a SOA). Also, Zope is
easy to manage through the web so my users don't need to hire a DBA.

I think the problem with zope was that it provided solutions to 2008
web development problems in 2002. If it was a private product I would
re-brand it and announce it as the perfect back end for RESTful web
services.

One suggestion: if only the admin interface was more easily scriptable
from command line python scripts. I have seen a few examples but it
would be nice to get the whole API in one place in a document or a
full featured application.

Tim