[Zope] Re: the grand reunion

Raphael Ritz r.ritz at biologie.hu-berlin.de
Fri Apr 11 06:09:02 EDT 2008

Yuri wrote:
> Hi!

Hi Yuri,

[..]

> I would like to have an easy way to develop without having to be subject
> to dependencies from other envinroment, minimize the effort to mantain
> it and focus on doing things :)

Maybe not exactly what you are asking for but I recommend you play
with buildout a bit - I'm sure you'll appreciate the ease with which
you can manage independent installations in a repeatable and easily
modifiable way.

> Is one big zope installation, with multiple instances, well suited for
> this tasks? Or is better different zope versions? What about the various
> Data.fs, is better to have them separated by application or by zope
> envinroment? I mean all the Plone in a single Data.fs or each one in a
> separated Data.fs?

Without further knowing how these sites might be related or not
this is hard to answer but often times I prefer to have separate
Zope instances (-> different ZODBs) for different Plone sites.
Even if they share substantial configuration/add-ons etc.
Again, using buildout makes it a snap to create and maintain
as many Zope instances as you want. And using a common buildout
cache they can also mostly share the basic installation.

Just my 2 cents,

	Raphael