[Zope] Re: Python Security Vulnerabilities

Alexander Limi limi at plone.org
Fri Aug 8 12:32:44 EDT 2008

On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 08:09:56 -0700, Stacy Ladnier
<Stacy.Ladnier at noaa.gov> wrote:

> I first apologize for cross posting, but this is a critical issue for my
> organization.
>
> We have several applications built with Plone, ranging from v 2.0.5 to v
> 2.5.3 and Zope, ranging from 2.7.3 to 2.9.7. With the August 2008
> release of a Python security vulnerability
> (http://secunia.com/advisories/31305/), we are trying to determine how
> this affects our web applications and how to mitigate and detect any
> attacks. We have seen no discussion among the Zope and Plone communities
> regarding this security threat. Is this an indication that Zope and
> Plone are immune from these exploits due to the additional security
> model it puts in place or is everyone simply waiting for Python to
> release a patch?

Most of the issues mentioned seem to be irrelevant to Plone from a casual
glance (disclaimer: I'm not a coder :) — but this one could probably do
with some investigation:

3) Integer overflow errors in the processing of unicode strings can be
exploited to cause buffer overflows on 32-bit systems.

In general, we have to wait until Python releases new versions that fix
these issues when they happen. I'm sure that will be the easiest and
quickest way to resolve this too.

--
Alexander Limi · http://limi.net