[Zope] ZEO clusters on a single box

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Wed Aug 13 14:18:32 EDT 2008

--On 13. August 2008 12:26:28 +0700 Jean Jordaan <jean.jordaan at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi there
>
> We have a server running many ZEO clusters (many more than the number of
> CPUs, of course). Each cluster consists of a master and two clients.
>
> Would it make sense to run both clients and spread requests across them?
>
> Or would it be better to just increase the number of threads of a single
> client, and only use the second client for './bin/zopectl debug', and
> for failover if the first client needs to be restarted?
>
> Would it ever make sense to have *more* than 2 clients per master, in
> this scenario (many more processes than CPUs)?

I think there is no general rule. E.g. we are running a production cluster
with 10 ZEO clients where two or three nodes  care about long-running
requests (like document checkin/checkouts). All other clients deal with the
"standard" request. With this approach we can have different configurations
for the number of threads and cache-size. The balancing is done based on
patterns where we identify the long-running requests through a pattern with
the URL.

-aj