[Zope] Trying ZODB with a background in RDBMS

SpiderX sp1d3rx at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 13:43:05 EDT 2008

For a ticketing system, you could just use the unix timestamp as the ticket
id.
*
269-345-460 is my birthday... ( July 15, 1978)
**121-873-549-7 is now.* (well, when this email was written).

Anyway, these should be pretty easy to give over the phone. They are unique
enough that you can take 59 calls a minute, 3599 calls an hour. It can also
save you from storing another value "ticket open date/time".

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 1:40 AM, Phillip B Oldham
<phillip.oldham at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all. I'm playing with standalone ZODB at the moment trying to get a
> better understanding of its use in applications. I come from a
> PHP/MySQL background, and I'm taking my first steps with Python at the
> same time.
>
> One of the things I'm not understanding about ZODB is assigning
> incremental IDs to objects. For instance, if I were to be writing a
> support-ticket system I'd want to give each ticket a unique number,
> but one that's "human-useable" (otherwise you could just use a UUID -
> try giving one of those over the phone!).
>
> Also, how would one add a new item to the db in this way?
>
> For instance:
>
> class Ticket(Persistence):
>  def __init__(self):
>    self.id = '' # How do I add a new incremental ID here?
>
> # and later on in the app
>
> tkt = Ticket()
> dbroot[?????] = tkt
>
> How would one assign a unique ID to the root at that point?
> --
> Phillip B Oldham
> phillip.oldham at gmail.com
> +44 (0) 7525 01 09 01