[Zope] Using md5 with allow_module

Running Clam running.clam at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 01:47:37 EST 2008

Hi All,

Sorry Andreas - I hit "reply" instead of "reply-all", and sent my
response only to you.

Thanks for your reply.

On 1/8/08, Andreas Jung <lists at zopyx.com> wrote:

> FAQ!

Yes, there have been a good few questions about this - I spent a lot
of time googling yesterday, and found a couple of threads where the
questioner seems to have given up at this point.

The problem seems to be that it works "some of the time" - I have
another case where it works (pywintypes, FWIW).

> allow_module() does not work with all and everything.
> Use an external method or a browser view instead or move your code into
> your zope product code (if you have one).

In this case, how could I know that allow_module() will not work with
md5? IOW, how could I tell the difference between a module not being a
candidate for allow_module() and an error in my own code?

I understand that an external method or a product are my other
choices, but I'm really uncomfortable about not understanding how I
can tell when I can and when I cannot use allow_module() - at the
moment, this feels horribly like "trial and error" coding!

Enough people have struggled with this that I'd like to understand it
well enough to add something to the wiki for the next person who has
the problem...

--

Cheers,

Philip