[Zope] ZMI in zope 2.10.5 broken

quizzical quixoptic at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 10:14:36 EST 2008

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Zope and have just installed Zope2.10.5. I have created a new
Zope instance in my home folder and then browsed to my servers ip address at
port 8080 and logged into the ZMI.

This is the problem, the top and main frames of the ZMI render perfectly and
I can navigate to the links in the main window, however, the tree menu in
the left frame does not load. Instead I get this error:

Error Type: NameError
Error Value: global name 'util' is not defined

I have had a look through the mailing lists and googled for hhours and have
found no indication as to what could be causing this.

The only clue I have is that when I click on the 'help' link in the main
frame the left frame of the window fails to render, even though it is a
completely different url. I have tried this in both Mozilla and IE and on
several different computers, one on XP and one on Vista.

Some information about my setup:

I am running an ubuntu 7.10 server, installed both Zope installations from
the .tgz files on Zope.org. Python version 2.4.4

please tell me what extra information I can provide, I have zero experience
with Zope and am finding it pretty tough to learn, so I know nothing about
standard log files or debugging.

Cheers for any help

Alex