[Zope] Re: Zeo and conflict resolution (was "suddenly confused")

Ricardo Newbery ric at digitalmarbles.com
Wed Jan 30 16:14:45 EST 2008

On Jan 30, 2008, at 12:59 PM, Tres Seaver wrote:

> Ricardo Newbery wrote:
>
>> Has anyone given thought to maybe providing a more general class with
>> conflict resolution in the core distribution?  The Length class works
>> for simple counters and I guess it can also be used for just simple
>> assignments, but what about something more complicated, perhaps with
>> some sort of factory defined at the moment of instantiation?
>>
>> Assuming this is even possible, having such a general purpose
>> conflict resolution class defined in the Zope products directory
>> might make it easier to distribute a third-party product that needs a
>> little conflict resolution.  Just a thought.
>
> Custom CR code is *hard* to get right:  most people would be better
> off
> using stock code (e.g., on of the tree types defined in the BTrees
> package, or Length).  Those who can get it right aren't likely to need
> their hands held.  ;)

I meant easier for the end user, not the developer.  It's kind of
complicated right now to explain how to set up a ZEO configuration to
work with your third-party product.  Makes it a bit of hurdle to
distribute such a thing for general use.

Oops, I just realized that Length won't work for simple assignments
as the conflict resolution assumes it's trying to resolve a counter
(which should have been obvious, I know).  Is there zope core class I
can use for a simple assignment, that maybe resolves conflicts by
just picking the last value assigned?

Ric