[Zope] statistics and click analysis for a plone site

robert rottermann robert at redcor.ch
Mon Jun 2 06:52:38 EDT 2008

Hi there,
for a Client using a plone2 intranet (with no access from the outside
world) I installed awstat to track the usage of the intranet.
now I wonder how meningfull such statisics are.

The intranet usage is roughly as follows:
- user logs into the intranet authenticating against a
Ldap/MSActiveDirectory
- she stays in the intranet all day, probably never logs out
- collects data as needed

The awstats setup is very basic. I just installed it and adopted the
config files such that it finds the apache log files.
I did a second setup for the Z2.log (to get at the old data, as we do
not rotate the Z2.log).

Looking at the awstats statistics I do not find them of overwhelming
informative.
Now, I now awstats is not a click analysis tool. but maybe somebody has
done some more analysis into how to provide useful statistics on the
usage of an intranet.
Any pointers would be welcome.

thanks
robert