[Zope] Re: PageTemplates len() of unsized object

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Wed May 28 15:52:07 EDT 2008

Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Giampiero Benvenuti wrote at 2008-5-24 11:47 +0200:
>> after the upgrade from zope2.9.7 to 2.10.6 i get this error in the
>> event log:
>>
>> 2008-05-24T09:31:32 ERROR Zope.SiteErrorLog http://myurl/error_log/manage_main
>> Traceback (innermost last):
>>   Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 119, in publish
>>   Module ZPublisher.mapply, line 88, in mapply
>>   Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 42, in call_object
>>   Module Shared.DC.Scripts.Bindings, line 313, in __call__
>>   Module Shared.DC.Scripts.Bindings, line 350, in _bindAndExec
>>   Module Products.PageTemplates.PageTemplateFile, line 129, in _exec
>>   Module Products.PageTemplates.PageTemplate, line 89, in pt_render
>>   Module zope.pagetemplate.pagetemplate, line 117, in pt_render
>>   Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 271, in __call__
>>   Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 346, in interpret
>>   Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 379, in do_startEndTag
>>   Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 412, in do_startTag
>> TypeError: len() of unsized object
>
> Looks as if the Zope 2.10 PageTemplate implementation made a big
> step backward with respect to quality of traceback information :-((

As far as I can see, traceback information was never added within the
TAL interpreter but always for TALES expression evalutation. The
traceback above seems to be about something going wrong within the TAL
interpreter which is probably why we don't see any further traceback info.

> Shane had added lots of "__traceback_info__" and "__traceback_supplement__"
> declarations to the older code such that the tracebacks were
> very informative....
> ... unlike the traceback above.

As far as I can tell, the code in zope.pagetemplate and zope.tales still
has the same traceback information that Products.PageTemplate had.
zope.tal, which contains the TAL interpreter, doesn't have any traceback
supplements, but then again, Zope 2's TAL package doesn't either.

To conclude, I don't think there's a "step backward" at all.