[Zope] Using page templates to generate large XML files

Marco Bizzarri marco.bizzarri at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 02:26:17 EDT 2008

Hi all.

I need to generate a large XML file inside a Zope application; the
file is for backup purposes, so it is stored on the server and can be
downloaded later with whatever suitable tool.

The data are taken from a database, and then they are used to create
the XML. I assume there will be between 40.000 and 100.000 rows to be
dumped.

I thought i could use page template for this purpose, but I'm not sure
if it is possible to send the output from a pt to a file, directly. Of
course, this is a problem which can be easily solved.

I wonder however if the PT has to generate the whole XML in just one
step; in that case, maybe I should resort to use PT on one row at
time, and write the data to different files.

Thanks for your time.

Regards
Marco

--