[Zope] Zope High Availability

Gareth Allen gareth at upfrontsystems.co.za
Wed Sep 17 03:56:09 EDT 2008

Hi guys,

Hope this is the right list, if not please correct me.
Currently I'm running a Zope cluster which consists of 3 servers, one
with squid and the other 2, which have quad core processors and 4GB
RAM,have 4 zeo instances running over DRBD and each Zope instance has 4
clients (2 on each box). The problem  started when I ran Squid on the
same box as the Zeo's (the Zeo's live on one box, but migrate when one
of the servers fail) and for some reason Squid ended up sending requests
on the box it was running on and the other box remained idle. My first
move was to set weights to try and get Squid to see the servers as
equal, but that didn't help either. Next I noticed the site would hang
as Squid was sending requests to a client that was either unreachable
due to high load and wasn't handling HTTP requests, but it seemed like
ICP was still answering which didn't help the situation. I removed ICP
and the problem still persisted, weights set to 1 on the box running
Squid and the Zeo's and 100 on the other box. The next move was to put
Squid on its own box, but I'm still experiencing problems where Squid
sends requests to only one box and eventually one of the clients becomes
unresponsive, but ICP still answers. My next step was to put Pound
behind squid and let Squid forward all requests to Pound which in turn
did the load balancing, but this morning I noticed 500 errors coming
from Pound. 2 of the instances, one on each box, kept timing out. I
restarted all 4 clients in question, reloaded Squid and restarted Pound,
but Pound kept timing out when sending requests to 2 of the instances.
The strange thing is that Pound was still able to forward requests to 4
of the other clients serving another instance, but this one was under
less load.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Gareth