[Zope] which platform independent database?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Sep 24 06:55:26 EDT 2008

On 2008-09-24 08:02, Jaroslav Lukesh wrote:
> Hi Andreas & all,
>
> I know, I does not use Zope and DB first day, but, are somewhere list of
> pros/cons for that databases and zope/python DA?
>
> For example, my cons for ODBC at Win32 (NT, 2k, XP) - it is not ideal in
> case of huge simultaneous access, it sometimes does not make write query
> (generally, not only from Zope, but from any app). We have 2 apps - one for
> production on Zope going thru sybase to MSSQL, we run multiple access many
> years without any problems, second on ASP with nice ;) interface for
> managers. When I was run my Zope at win32 over ODBC, here was problems in
> production with missing data at DB, so I was switch to Linux. Now we have
> same problems with ASP part - I need to repair inconsistency coming from
> manager interface up to few times per month. My zope servers on linux runs
> as blackbox - they are serving without problems, no intervetion needed if no
> HW problems. So I think, that you know my reasons to non-odbc DB access. All
> my words to our windoze IT staff in case of any production problems are
> obligatory - "Golden zope!".

Which database adapter have you been using for the Zope database
connection ?

We've never had reports of missing data or anything the like from our
mxODBC Zope DA customers in all the years it has been in production
on Windows.

Perhaps you are facing database problems with the database that
originate in the way the database does row level locking ?

Or are you talking about ZODB conflict errors ?

> But now I want to make some kind of portable, near OS independent (win/lin)
> compact zope solution. So I look for RDB with like "blackbox" functionality,
> with nothing special to make backups of running system (like make backup of
> Data.fs) and nothing to install when move - make backup copy of live system
> and then run it on another machine. Installations are allowed only in case
> of change OS platform.

I guess you're better off with storing your data in the ZODB if
you're looking for file copy based consistent backups.

I don't know of any RDBMS that would allow file copy based backups
from a running system while still maintaining consistency. At the very
least, the database system has to flush its buffers to the database
files, so you need special tools for the backup one way or another.

OTOH, nearly all database systems provide live backup tools
which create consistent backups of a running system.