[Zope] [Zope-dev] Zope 4.0, maybe not such a bad idea...

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Thu Apr 2 16:17:20 EDT 2009

Jim Fulton wrote:
>> What Martijn has announced and is already being worked on extensively.
>>
>> - Zope A 4.0
>>
>> What was to be Zope 2.12
>>
>> - Zope B 4.0
>>
>> Whatever the next pending release of the Zope 3 appserver stuff was to
>> be. (Need to keep the Canonical and ZC guys happy afterall ;-) )
>>
>> www.zope.org could then just be a radically cut down link portal to
>> a.zope.org, b.zope.org and framework.zope.org, which I'd imagine to be
>> brochurewear, download and/or KGS sites for each of the above.
>>
>> I'd suggesting splitting the svn access stuff out to dev.zope.org
>> because it transcends all three.
>>
>> docs.zope.org could hoover up the rest, with any remaining stuff being
>> humanely dispatched.
>>
>> Seriously, how do people feel about this?
>
> I don't think we need A&B.  Maybe just "Zope" and "Zope Framework".

Unfortunately, as we discovered at the BOF, and what is currently a
significant cause of confusion, is that the "Zope" bit isn't just one
thing, we basically have two app-server projects named Zope right now:

- Zope 2

Used by Plone, and a few die-hard stragglers and unfortunate passerby's
who get sucked in by the rubbish on www.zope.org

- Zope 3

Use by Canonical for Launchpad and (well, was suspected anyway) by ZC.
I'm sure there are more.

The only sane solution I can think of is to give them both different
names (I'm not wedded to A and B, maybe Classic and Advanced?) and let
them evolve at their own pace from now on. I suspect their evolution
will be glacial compared to things like Repoze.bfg and Grok, which
should become the "new user" stories in the Zope world.

I'd *really* like to see the majority of the current www.zope.org simply
eradicated from existence. It's out of date and a source of nothing but
confusion.

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk