[Zope] [Zope-dev] Zope 4.0, maybe not such a bad idea...

Sascha Welter zopelist at betabug.ch
Fri Apr 3 04:19:47 EDT 2009

(Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 04:11:00PM -0400) Jim Fulton wrote/schrieb/egrapse:
> I don't think we need A&B.  Maybe just "Zope" and "Zope Framework".

As long as both use the word "Zope", the confusion will continue.

Why don't the Zope 3 people find a different name now, something that
relates but is not the same?

What good is there in confusing people? On the #zope irc channel we
have to beg/force/constantly remind people to state the version they're
using, because practically that channel supports two totally different
pieces of software.

I understand that the developers would like everybody to move to shiny
new Zope 3 and maybe think if they stick to the known name that will
help this transition. But Zope 2 still works for some people (and will
for a long time), those Zope 2 people won't move over by mistake. Even
new people (who Chris so much despises landing on Zope 2) are not helped
if they *accidentally* land in Zope 3 land. Does anybody honestly think
"I started to use Zope 3 because I confused these projects which use the
same name" is a convincing argument? Let Zope 3 get adopted because it's
better, not because it's confusing people by using the same name.

Regards,

Sascha