[Zope] RIP Zope 2!

Tim Nash thedagdae at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 17:05:59 EDT 2009

Thanks for this post Jürgen.  You made me think of my agenda. My
agenda is to promote Zope/Plone as a great way to create web
applications that you also want to distribute as desktop applications.
I have posted about this a long time ago but there is no reason for
anyone on this list to remember, especially if this feature of
zope/plone is of no interest to them. So from now on I am going
include it in my sig.

Also, I have been critical of the zope 3 line because I love zope 2
and it appears to me that zope 3 is killing zope 2. I'd rather not be
an enemy of the zope 3 team. Grok is great but I cannot distribute
grok applications to most users. However, If somebody made it possible
to run django or jinga2 templates in zope 3 I would be back into
Phillip's book in a flash. The reason is because I think zope is a lot
more like the google app engine's back end (called big table) than a
relational database is. App engine uses django templates and there is
currently no way to migrate applications off app engine. Seems like an
opportunity for someone who really knows zope well.

Zope/Plone is still the best way to get a full stack (webserver -
business layer - database) on a users desktop. It installs on mac and
windows with one click. It is etter than LAMP or Adobe AIR. Please
recommend plone to newbies and casual zope developers.

Thanks!