[Zope] [Zope-dev] Zope 4.0, maybe not such a bad idea...

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Sat Apr 11 07:07:43 EDT 2009

Andrew Milton wrote:
> My position is that plenty of people use Zope 2 without plone,

Your position appeared to be that it's a good idea to tempt new users
into using "plain zope 2". I assert that it's not because zope.org is
dead, the docs have barely changed in 7 years and, in a specific case,
LocalFS has become unmaintained and doesn't work in current Zope 2 releases.

> | >I already maintain a lot of code,
> |
> | such as?
>
> So you really don't go to zope.org.

That doesn't answer my question. What public code do you actively maintain?

> | >and I have my own LocalFS-type code so I
> | >don't see the need to maintain a different one.
> |
> | Then why not release this and advertise is as a maintained alternative
> | to LocalFS?
>
> Why bother?

Because it's broken on current Zope releases and no-one is maintaining
it, meaning every person who wants to use it has to individually patch
it and maintain their own local copy.

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk