[Zope] Building a fast, scalable yet small Zope application

Peter Bengtsson peterbe at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 06:44:25 EDT 2009

>From experience I find that BTrees are very fast to write to and pick
out items from. Even in the millions. (Never gone into the tens of
millions or further)
Also, when it comes to browsing stuff I find SQL faster and easier to
work with. An added advantage of a RDBMS is that you get the indexing
seamlessly built in (no need to bridge zbrain.getObject()) and it
makes it easier to optimize and figure out which indexes help and
which indexes slow you down which is something that is far from
obvious with a ZCatalog approach.

2009/4/25 Morten W. Petersen <morten at nidelven-it.no>:
> Hi,
>
> I'm considering building a large scale, but small in features site.  It
> will contain
> lots of small objects (millions, tens of millions, hundreds of millions)
> of objects,
> where each object has a couple of strings and maybe some other light
> attributes.
>
> So far, I've been contemplating disabling undo (if that's possible), and
> using
> BTree structures, maybe segmenting objects into different groups
> (folders) to
> further speed up lookups.  Scalability is also an issue, should I
> consider using
> RelStorage?  Should I consider using the ZCatalog for faster lookups?
>
> Has anyone else developed something similar?  Are there Zope product
> examples out there that fit the bill?
>
> -Morten
>
> --
> Morten W. Petersen