[Zope] Different file storage in Zope

Olivier Nicole on at cs.ait.ac.th
Thu Mar 26 04:49:59 EDT 2009

Hi,

I am pretty new to Zope. We need to install a site for our University
department. On this site, we plan to store number of big files, like
posters, student thesis, research papers, etc.

I understand that ZODB is not the best storage for this sort of
documents, but that we should rather use something like File System
Storage for example.

I just build a new Zope instance (buildout) and have Zope 2.10.6-final
running along with Plone 3.2.1.

What would the best external storage recommended? Looking at the
Storage Products available for Zope
(http://wiki.zope.org/zope2/StorageProducts) all products look pretty
old to me, so I wonder if any is still supported, will continue to be
supported in the future.

Anyway, I tried to install File System Storage through buildout:

buildout.cfg
[buildout]
parts =
    zope2
    productdistros
    instance
    zopepy
    fss
zope-instances =
    ${instance:location}

storages =
   CSIM / directory /web/Plone3.2.1/FSS/storage /web/Plone3.2.1/FSS/backup

This build OK, but I don't see where/how I can use FSS inside a test
Plone site. It's like FSS is there, and built, but pretty inactive.

So, how can I configure FSS, use it?

----

A side question, when I try to add most of the ATContentTypes objects
in my test Plone site, ZMI always come to Add ATContentTypes: Portal
Types Criterion. Is that a normal behaviour?

TIA,

Olivier