[Zope] can I use my existing twisted rpc app in zope.

Krishnakant krmane at gmail.com
Sat May 2 07:04:38 EDT 2009

> It's really up to you. Personally, I would recommend looking into
> either Grok, which is based on Zope 3, or BFG, which is a minimalistic
> framework using Zope 3 technologies.
>
> http://grok.zope.org/
> http://bfg.repoze.org/

I see, By the way will 5 help me solve this confusion?
> > But at the same time I am unsure whether zope3 has products for tasks
> > such as open office integration and call to a database.
>
> You can use ny Python library both from Zope 2 and Zope 3. Often
> easier from Zope 3 in fact.

Well my requirement is to have open office spreadsheet integration so
that I can create ledger reports etc as a spreadsheet.
I had recently herd about a zope product which does that but can't
remember that name which was similar to zetac or some thing.

> > What I mean is that I would like to directly integrate my already
> > developed rpc server application inside zope in such a way that it sits
> > in the server
>
> I don't understand what you mean with having a twisted server inside a
> zope server. It doesn't make any sense to me. Zope talks either HTTP
> or WSGI (which in turn talks HTTP). The RCP server doesn't. I don't
> see how "inside" makes sense there. Can the two servers talk to each
> other and share data? Sure, there are many solutions for that.

I will try and make my problem clear.
Right now my application is a twisted based rpc server application which
gives the set of api like setCustomer() getCustomer() etc.

Right now we have created a gtk based thin client which is nothing but
an rpc client which calls the rpc published objects in the server
application.

Now if I want to take the entire rpc server based application and put it
into zope in such a way that my rpc application is not disturbed but the
features like PAS get integrated, will this be possible?

More presisely, I want to use zope for this same application server and
have it do the same work on xml rpc.

But if I have to re-write the entire rpc application server, then it
will be a tedious task.  What I am thinking is to take this twisted
based application server and make it a zope product.  This way my
classes and the published objects for rpc requests remain intact and I
continue adding feature enhancements like security and other advantages
which zope would give as an application server.  So my simple twisted
based rpc application becomes a zope product which sits in zope and
takes the advantage of all that zope has to offer.

I hope I am clear this time.

Thanks and
happy hacking.
Krishnakant.