[Zope] Zope Digest, Vol 91, Issue 2

Fernando Martins fernando at cmartins.nl
Mon Dec 5 23:14:25 UTC 2011

On 12/05/2011 03:12 PM, Sareesh Sudhakaran wrote:

> Hi John and Fernando
> Intuitively I feel that my project fits in with an Object DB, which is
> why I have spent a lot of time trying to understand its methodology.
> But now I'm more confused than ever.

Sareesh, could you be more specific about what confuses you? You have
several routes, you need to give proper consideration to those routes.

Maybe it would also help us if you clarify what is your skillset and
experience in software development.

Also, is your problem a CIM one? see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer-integrated_manufacturing and
specifically the key challenge listed over there. I have the impression
you might be underestimating the problem.

Finally, do you already have information about the tools in some
electronic format? And what about the rules to choose tools? Is there
already some computer based solution to help with the current problem?

Please keep in mind that OOP and Object DB is not the same thing. You
can work with objects in Python and never rely on OODB.

I have serious doubts about using ZODB at your stage because AFAIK,
creating custom objects requires the development of zope Products. Note
that the zope book does not teach you about creating custom objects in
the ZODB. You need another whole book for that.

And the combination RDB and ZODB suggested by Neils/John seems too
complicated as a start. I think you have a high learning curve ahead of
you if have to learn to create Zope Packages to put objects in ZODB. But
maybe there are simpler ways that I am not aware of. I'm sure OOP in
Python and RDB is a good option. ZODB itself, I'm not so sure. Maybe
others can enlighten you better here.

It appears to me you don't have much experience and it looks like there
is a long evolutionary project ahead of you. For these reasons, I would
highly recommend Python. BTW, I never recommended and I do not recommend
C/C++ for your needs, I just mentioned that I used it for a similar
purpose many years ago.

I would recommend you to do some programming in Python just to read some
tool data from a text file, create some objects and try to do some tool
selection where the output is merely done with print.

Then you can upgrade to use MySQL to store your tool data and then you
can decide if you go the Zope or the PHP route. Keep in mind that RDBs
are a huge standard with many people and tools around it, whereas ZODB
is very much a small niche in comparison. That should also weigh in your
criteria.

Regards,
Fernando