[Zope] Zope instance not serving website - Site Error

Matthew Moore matt at smtl.co.uk
Thu Feb 2 13:12:15 UTC 2012

On 02/02/12 11:43, Sascha Gottfried wrote:
> Matthew,
>> Sascha,
>>

>>> you probably need to know the concepts of Zope Through-the-web (TTW)
>>> and Filesystem (FS) Product Coding.
>>> Some templates, scripts are in the ZODB and editable via ZMI - the
>>> recommended style for a not so recent Zope version is using FS Zope
>>> Products. Please identify the zope version by using the
>>> ZMI-ControlPanel.
>> I'm reading up on the TTW and FS stuff.  Any articles/pages you
>> particulary recommend?
>>
> http://readthedocs.org/docs/collective-docs/en/latest/
>
>> I can't edit anything using the ZMI, when I click on the pages in
>> 'Content' I get the error message.
>>
>> The version line from the error log is this - 'Zope/(Zope
>> 2.9.4-final, python 2.4.3, linux2) ZServer/1.1 Plone/2.5'
>>
>>> Please compare the way you start the zope instance with the way your
>>> former colleague did it.
>>
>> I'm not sure what the previous guy did, but I've used the init script
>> (/etc/init.d/zope start) and the zopectl script in the bin/ in the
>> instance.  All methods of starting give the same errors.  I have had
>> to restart zope before now, and I've always used zopectl and that's
>> worked fine.  It's only since the server crashed it's not worked.
>> I'd only used zopectl fg so I could see what was happening on
>> startup.  Currently the site (www.legulcerforum.org) is started using
>> the init script.
>>
>>> Identify if you are using a custom developed  Zope Product with
>>> templates and a 'main_template' and optionally a 'folder_listing'
>>> Zope Page Template or similar. Find them by searching in the
>>> filesystem ('Products' Folder is one option) and in the ZMI and tell
>>> us the location if you find them.
>> I don't think it's custom, I've put a list of the Products directory
>> on pastebin:
>>
>> http://pastebin.com/cftnjbgZ
>>
>> I think it's pretty much just plone.
>>
> Please go for portal_skins tool in ZMI , identify the current skin and
> check that the chosen skin lists several layers. These layers consist
> of several FS Directory View belonging to several products and their
> skin directories.
> If you are using Plone 2.5 use this book. There is also a HTML version
> free available in the web.
> http://plone.org/documentation/kb/definitive-guide
>
> Consult the chapter about skinning Plone, the 'custom' folder and the
> setup of skins and layers.

Thanks for all the links.

I'm not 100% as to exactly which one is the skin that's in use, but all
of the folders in plone_skins do have files and folders in them.  The
one that's most likely to be it (called custom and not changed since
2006, which is when the site was installed).  Has all the logos, a
main_template (which looks ok as far as I can tell) and a css file as
well as a base_properties directory.

Cheers,

Matthew