[Zope] zeo clients not synchronized, modifications not shown

Dragos Chirila objectvalues at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 12:29:59 CET 2015

Hi there,

I have in production a Zope server from many years now:

- Zope 2.11.4-final, python 2.4.6
- 2.4.6
- ZEO with 3 clients via sockets on the same machine
- running a custom CMS (not Plone based)

Last weekend, without touching the server or the code, a strange problem
starting to occur and is repeating since:

- when I try to modify an object (e.g. only the title) the saved data is
not available in the browser after that. If I look in the ZMI the
transaction is there. If I refresh the page the modification appears

- also happens on an add or a delete (the object is deleted bu still
appears in the listing)

My impression is that the save itself is handled by lets say client1 and
then the redirect and render of the edit page by a different one - client2.

I tried different things:

1. pack data fs and restart all clients and zeo

2. if i try to change the title of the object via ZMI Properties tab it
works fine - I always see the changes. On our CMS edit page we do an
explicit recatalog of the object after the save. I thought maybe the
catalog is broken somehow so I updated it - problem still there.

3. I checked the data fs with fstest.py, also checked for broken
BTreeFolders - no issues detected.

4. I put the production database on a development server without zeo, just
a single zope instance - everything works just fine.

So, I can reproduce the problem but now clue so far about the cause.

Any idea on how to handle and fix this? Anything will be highly appreciated.

Thank you,
Dragos

--
Dragos Chirila