[Zope3-dev] Re: Page Architecture: Term suggestions

Jean-Marc Orliaguet jmo at ita.chalmers.se
Fri Dec 3 14:58:47 EST 2004

Tonico Strasser wrote:

> Martijn Faassen wrote:

>> -1 from me
>>
>> I don't think DOM Document and DocumentFragment are consistent with
>> what I perceive to be desired. Are there definitions of 'Page' and
>> 'Pagelet' somewhere?
>>
>> The DOM core definition talks about XML trees. You can have a whole
>> tree (a Document) and part of a tree (a DocumentFragment). There are
>> other W3C recommendations that probably use different language. The
>> whole pagelet stuff I believe is far more about layout and
>> presentation concerns, something the DOM core is not about. I think
>> it would be confusing to use these DOM terms.
>

> Im concerned about that we are going to reinwent things. A layout is a
> XML document, isn't it?
>
> We know that a XML document can be presented in many ways, not only as
> a Web page.
>
> If we define a portlet, how can I imagine it? A thing that gives me
> presentation -structure, -logic, -sytle and content?
>
> Is a portlet HTML only?
>
> Sorry if this sound confusing, maybe I'm misunderstanding the whole
> thing.
>
> Tonico

there are many levels of abstrations between an object in Zope (say a
document) and its rendered view in HTML.

you can see a document as an aggregation of data field (title,
description, chapter, attached file) -- which you call 'content' -- that
is described using a data model (close to the XML stuff about) with
fragments if you need to group data fields together.

Then you need to do some rendering with for instance HTML widgets
associated to the data fields in the document . The widgets are parts of
a document layout. There can be several layouts per document where you
choose to show or hide certain widgets or you can use different widgets
to represent the same data field.

At this stage you have a rendered document in HTML/XHTML format (without
page ....

In CPSPortlets we then add a box layout around this entity to create a
Portlet box with decorations. Portlets then have styles and javascript
code snippets associated to them. They are displayed inside slots in a
theme layout. All this goes through a theme renderer and there must be
at least 10 levels of abstraction between the 'content' and the
presentation of it.

So what is a page or a pagelet in all this? It appears to me that a page
is *one* rendered view of a Document and a pagelet is *one* rendered
view of a DocumentFragment.

Cheers /JM