[Zope3-dev] Portlets vs Pagelets

Jean-Marc Orliaguet jmo at ita.chalmers.se
Sat Dec 4 17:14:56 EST 2004

Jim Fulton wrote:

> I'd like to suggest a more important distinction between
> portlets and pagelets.  Portlets are largely under the user's
> control.  User's can choose, configure and arrange portlets for
> themselves.  As a result, the system has to track portlet information
> by user, as well as default portlet information.
>
> I suggest that pagelets are components used by the page author to
> construct pages.  To tie the two together, a portlet slot might be
> implemented as a pagelet.
>
> I suggest that the most important goal of a pagelet framework
> is to provide a framework for page construction, including management
> of shared resources and resource dependencies.
>
> $0.2 from a non authority.
>
> Jim

OK, that is another distinction - what you call pagelet is what call
'templet' (CPSSkins). These elements are under the page designer's
control. A special type of templet (pagelet) is the one that creates a
slot in which portlets (CPSPortlets) can be inserted by users. The page
designer controls the style and the decoration of the portlet boxes
inserted into the slot.

The two views are somehow "orthogonal", i.e. users cannot control the
design of the page, while page designers cannot control the content of
the slots, so the separation is very clear and there is a
complementarity. Templets (pagelets) are global ("placeless" in the
entire portal) while portlets are local ("placeful", displayed in some
folders, controlled by some groups of users, etc.).

regards /JM